Monday, October 13, 2008

New Website

Hope everyone is doing well! No posts in a long time so I assume we're all busy busy with work. I know I am. :o)

Over the summer I took an HTML class to learn how to make my portfolio online. It was very basic because I am still very much a beginner in regards to web design. The first site was ok, but I know I will always want to improve it every few months. This weekend I redid the site and am looking for feedback. FYI, this is all HTML and CSS using basic Notepad. I don't know Flash or Java, and I don't have any new versions of Adobe products (yet).

The address is: http://www.lindsayjohnsondesign.com

I'm specifically looking for feedback regarding:
-layout
-ease of use
-that the text is all written in clear language
-suggestions for improvement

Thanks in advance!

-Lindsay

3 comments:

eleanor said...

Hi Lindsay-
Yes, I have been pretty busy lately too (unfortunately!).
The website is a great start, and I have a few suggestions for ya. Having just built my website this summer too, I just went through this. One main thing on your home page - it is a little confusing where your portfolios are. Maybe make the type that says "illustration" and "design" bold and/or larger so it is immediately apparent. Also, I have found that people want to see more than 10 pieces on a site. The problem is you don't want to put up anything that is not your best, so that is not an immediate fix, but something to keep in mind over time. Also, if you have any specific clients or jobs you can mention in your "about" page, that would be good. I love the "sugary" illustration you did...you should make that your home page image since halloween is so close!

kim holt said...

Here are my comments.
Love the color choice - very welcoming

I would include headers for the different sections. I fundamentally understand that a section is called illustration but There should be an overall indicator that you have arrived there and how to get back to the portfolio section.

I would add some dimension to your thumbnails by adding a border and a drop shadow. This can be done through style sheets if your want to try that or Photoshop.

There is too much white-space at the bottom of the page.

Lindsay Johnson Design should be more prominent. It is only on the first page and you barely notice it.

I love your "logo" on your blog. It is a great identifier. You could possibly use it or something similar to give your site a brand.

Hope this is helpful.

elizabeth said...

The website looks good, Lindsay! It showcases your work very well. My one comment-- I think a few of the pieces need more then a one-word title. Most of them make sense (soar, sugary, island) but a few could use some explanation (strings, fierce, primitive.) When you post them to your blog, you write a few words about each piece. You don't need sentences and sentences here, just slightly longer titles. "Book club" instead of "strings," maybe--or something like that. You want potential clients to be able to understand and appreciate your ability to put thoughts into images.