Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Your thoughts, requested.

Hello, critique friends!  I know this site has been silent for a while (and so have I) but I could really use some fresh eyes and minds.  I'd like to use these three illustrations for a promotional piece to send to art directors.  A few questions:

1) I've only ever sent normal-sized, normal-shaped postcards.  My initial thought is to just line these up (similar to above) on one postcards, maybe an oversized one.  But I wonder if the fact that there are three images might lend itself to something more creative.  Any thoughts?  Have any of you done (or seen) promotional mailings that were something other than a plain postcard? 

2) Is it distracting that the first two drawings have less-than-accurate horizon lines?  Does that bother anyone?  Should I got back in and fix that?  Or is it okay as is?

3) Do they work--individually and collectively-- well enough to be used promotionally?

I'd love to hear your thoughts!  Thanks, everyone!

3 comments:

lindsay.illustration@gmail.com said...

Hey, Elizabeth!

Glad to see you are still making art. Congratulations on your magazine cover. It looks great! :)

1) I think all three lined up on a longer postcard may look nice. I think people do send creative/different things out. Or you could send them on 8.5x11, so they are larger and show more detail?

2) Unconventional horizon lines don't bother me at all. Looks good!

3) Collectively I like that you used similar colors, so they do look good together. The rain is my first fav, followed by the tree, then baseball. I think showing the same girl in different situations/different angles shows an art director that you can draw with consistency. The baseball face is a little rounder than the rain face, and the thighs on the baseball girl are a little too long.

Your work looks really good. And I love that you use pastels. Hope this was helpful!

Thanks for sharing,

-Lindsay

eleanor said...

Elizabeth,
I agree with Lindsay, looks good! I have definitely seen promotional cards that have more than one image on them. If you place them all in a row with space in between them and a black or other solid color background I think it would be very effective. You can get them printed on large postcards to show more detail, I think 6"x8.5" or so would look great!
The horizon lines don't bother me, since they are consistent in all 3 pieces. The only thing that struck me as a little off is the girl's legs in the baseball image. I find her thighs a bit distracting, possibly they are too long as Lindsay said?
Hope this helps, very nice work!
Eleanor

elizabeth said...

Thanks for your feedback, ladies! Very very helpful. Also, sorry to all-- I just accidentally posted on this site a picture/musing meant for my own blog. It's gone now, so disregard!