Tuesday, November 11, 2008

So much activity!



I haven't done an illustration with this many pieces in a very long time--which is partially why I want to do this piece, for practice!--but I'm not sure I'm ready to do it in color yet. The focus of the piece should be the people-- the distractions happening around the table and the bewilderment of the two kids in the middle. The food's there mainly to clarify that this is Thanksgiving... and also because, well, it's a dinner table scene.

That being said, I'm a little worried that the food might end up dominating the whole picture, or at least distracting from the people and the activity. Is that something that can be achieved through color (more contrast in the people, for instance) or should I tweak the composition itself? Actually, I'd love to hear ANY thoughts! Thanks!!

1 comment:

lindsay.illustration@gmail.com said...

I'm thinking about making some holiday pieces soon, too. Right now the table takes up about two-thirds of the page. Perhaps you can shift it down and make the dishes closer to each other so the table takes up only half the page instead. I think that may bring the attention back up to the people.