Monday, August 25, 2008

Crit 001: "Culture Clash"

ARTICLE: Adjusting to a new work environment is the greatest challenge.


So, I recently got a new job and "detach" was rolling around in my brain. I thought about how I am detaching myself from one job, where I was relatively comfortable: got along with everyone, knew how to do the tasks--to a new job where I know nothing. To me, it was like leaving a finished puzzle which took so long to figure out, and moving to an unfinished pile of pieces.

I found this article (btw I'm big into news so I think I want to do editorial illustrations) and it talked about how adjusting to the culture of your new job is the most difficult for employees. I thought about the puzzle analogy again and wanted to show the separation between the existing staff and the newbie, yet the hope that they will join together eventually.

Q:
1. Should a top person be female so it doesn't look like a gender issue, or did that not even cross your mind?

2. Is the v-neck top too low cut or is that just me looking at it for too long?

3. Should the new girl have hair or would that be distracting?

Thanks! -Lj

(8/29/08) Thanks for comments! Revised illo found HERE.


2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Lindsay,

A nice piece! To answer your questions:

1. I think yes, it's possible to construe this as the woman facing off with the men. Maybe balancing the genders would help (but keeping the clothing color difference, so you don't lose the element of culture clash).

2. I don't think it's too low.

3. Nah, I personally don't miss the hair.

But I do wonder if there's a way to demonstrate that somehow the pieces will eventually come together. I think it's equally possible to see this as her pulling away from them. Any thoughts from the rest of the group on that?

p.s. I agree-- starting a new job can be daunting, particularly in adapting to the environment. Best of luck with yours, Lindsay!

kim holt said...

Nice illustration. It has an emotional as well as literal quality. I agree with Elizabeth on many points.

1. It does seem like men against women, mainly because she appears beneath them instead of on the side, Or perhaps she could have been in the middle with two men on each side.

2. I think her expression is very much in contrast to the men. She is either smiling or gloating and they look perplexed.

3. No hair is fine and so is her outfit. Power red!